At the behest of Mapua Mathematics Professor Ignacio Sevilla, Sr. and with the help of six Beta Chapter (National University, Manila) brothers, Federico M. Nadela organized the Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity at Mapua Institute of Technology in the Doroteo Jose compound in Manila on March 5, 1952. The newly-founded fraternity was supported by six faculty members headed by the school Vice President and brother Oscar Mapua and four other scouting advisers headed by Prof. Sevilla and Godofredo Neric. The first set of officers included : President (Grand Chancellor) Federico Nadela, Vice President Jose Ma. Reyes, Secretary Cheah Guan Soon, Treasurer Carmilo Fernan, and PRO Pat Bacay. On March 9,1952 the APO National Council recognized and awarded full membership to 39 brothers of the school (MIT) and named it DELTA CHAPTER. From 1952 to the present, the Delta Chapter has initiated more than 700 fraternity brothers and 450 sorority sisters.
For support and mutual relationship, the fraternity brothers organized the Delta Sigma Sigma Sorority at the MIT campus in Doroteo Jose, Manila. As more women were admitted into the sororities of different schools with APO affiliation, these sororities were admitted into the APO ranks on Sept. 17, 1968, when the first sorority chapter was given recognition at the Alpha Eta Chapter (PCBA Manila). The National Council later recognized the Delta Sigma Sigma sorority of MIT as the DELTA CHAPTER of the Alpha Phi Omega Auxiliary Sorority (APOAS) on October 15, 1970. On December 18, 1971, during the national convention in Los Banos, Laguna, the APOAS took the legal form, as we know them today.
This narrative is based on the extensive research conducted by Bro. Nelson Ipapo which was validated by our Founding Bro. Federico Nadela. The verbiage of the narration was written by Bros. Nelson Ipapo and Ernie Garrovillas.